Blog Bio



Blog Bio

HS 3133.51: Perspectives on Women's Health 

Welcome to my blog!


Happy 2019, everyone! My name is Mallorie Anderson, and I am a senior at TWU. This summer I will graduate with a Bachelor of General Studies Degree with a concentration in health studies and business. To be completely honest, I have no idea what I want to do after graduation. It both excites me and scares me knowing graduation is near! I am exploring graduate school options and will likely further my education and pursue a master's degree. 

Throughout this course, I hope to learn about the many factors and demographics that influence women's physical and mental health- from age and race to income and education levels. After taking several courses at TWU centered around the vast importance of mental health and the promotion of mental health in our healthcare system, I also hope to learn more about mental health specifically in regard to women. From mental health screenings and exams to counseling and therapy, I'm interested in learning about the access women have (or in many cases don't have) to mental healthcare and the factors that influence whether or not they pursue/receive the help they need. 

After reflecting on my own personal beliefs about women's health, I quickly realized how "hush hush" women's health is. In our society, women's health is not talked about enough- which is scary when you think about how crucial of a topic it is! Growing up in a family of strong women, I received very powerful messages about taking care of my physical and mental health as a woman; however, even in my close group of "girl friends," topics about our bodies or the topic of postpartum depression feel as though they are "off the table"- almost as if we're made to feel like it's a shameful or taboo topic... which is terrible! Taking care of our bodies and minds is what helps us to be truly happy and the best moms, wives, and friends we can be!

The primary source of my health beliefs about women are the previous generations of strong women in my family that have come before me. My great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother have always encouraged my sister and I to stay on top of our health by taking care of both our physical and mental health. They taught us this through example by taking care of themselves and their bodies- like eating healthy foods, exercising, and having preventative health exams and wellness exams annually. I hope to pass on the importance of preventative health care for women (such as annual gyno check-ups/exams) to my children- especially my daughter- and teach her that her health is not only incredibly important but is her responsibility and in her own hands. I'm thankful to have such incredible role models and women in my life!

I look forward to learning a lot in this course and getting to know all of you throughout the next several months, and I wish everyone a great spring semester! :)

- Mallorie Anderson

Comments

  1. Hello Mallorie, After reading your post I was able to learn more about how women health is not taken seriously, especially mental health. I think it is important that women's health is taken more seriously by the medical industry and we are given more access to more resources that help us improve our health. I also think its important for women to understand how their mental health can change during pregnancy and they can treat it. I think its interesting that your family members were able to inform you about how to take care of your body. I hope to read more of your blog throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mallorie,

    From reading your post, I realized how silent women's health actually is. Women don't have the support or safe place they deserve to talk about anything that relates to their health. I liked how you also brought it up from a mental health stand point. From this, women most likely feel that they have to go on this journey alone. Society needs to get rid of the 'silent label' that's put on women's health so that we can all be well on our way to living our best and healthy lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mallorie,
    I found your post very connected to me. I'm graduating this May as well, honestly, I'm going through massive stress about what I want to do next, so I totally understand your situation. I learn the importance of my mental health Through my mother and aunts. I grew up in a joint family with a total of six female and they've always taught me about taking care of our own mental health issue. They encouraged me to follow healthy behavior such as routine exercise, healthy food and routine screening checkups to maintain any health issues as well. As a part of this course, i. hope we are able to share that healthy routine should be practiced, starting from our home.
    I look forward to reading your post.
    Sincerely,
    Neelam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mallorie,

    I connected to your post because I will be graduating in May and honestly the stress is starting to freak me out on what I will be doing after graduation. However, my last couple of semester have been jam packed with classes that I am excited to have a mental relief on not having to do endless assignments and be able to focus on having a few more 'me time' sessions. Women's health issues are very 'hush hush' as you stated, I grew up in a household where we didn't have open communication with questions that I would like to have asked my mom or grandma and that definitely made it very difficult because I ended up getting answers from maybe not the best sources.

    Best of luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mallorie!

    First I must say that you are a very talented writer! I found myself genuinely enthralled while reading your bio. It's easy to see that you are very passionate about this subject and I'm certain you will be highly successful no matter what career path you choose. Back to the topic, you hit on so many key points. One that you taught me was the importance of mental health screenings and exams. I know little to nothing about that end of therapy or care. As I believe prevention is of the upmost importance, I appreciate you pointing that out.

    Look forward to reading your blog throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mallorie,

    Welcome to the course! Maybe you will find a passion while studying this semester; I encourage you to really pay attention to any fields that interest you and any professions you come across, it could be your new career path!

    Dr. B

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog One

Blog Four